Jawaharlal Nehru University student Umar Khalid was shot by a an unidentified man outside Constitution Club of India in New Delhi on Monday afternoon. However he Managed to escape unhurt.
The popular leader was at the venue to attend an event “Khauff se Azaadi”, put together by an organization named ‘United Against Hate’.
Two days ahead of Independence Day,there is an atmosphere of fear in the country, and anybody who speaks against the government is threatened, he said after the attack.
He had filed a complaint alleging death threats in June.
We were at a tea stall when a man in white shirt came, pushed and opened fire at him Khalid lost his balance, fell down and the bullet missed him, we tried to catch the man.
He fired in the air but when the pistol slipped off his hands, he fled, an eyewitness told news ANI.
Umar Khalid first shot to fame on Feb 9,2016 when he organized a protest against the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru. Protest organized inside the JNU.
According to the footage, anti-India slogans were raised at the event and sedition charges were slapped on Khalid and JNU students leader Kanhaiya Kumar.
Pursuing his doctorate in the JNU’s Centre for Historical Studies, Khalid recently claimed the University was not allowing him to submit his theses.
University said he had not completed formalities that resulted from the sedition charge.
- IPL 2021 CSK Playing XI vs MI: Robin Uthappa likely to be opening
- IPL 2021 KKR vs RCB Live: How to watch Live Streaming in India
- IPL: BCCI keen to welcome Lucknow as a new IPL City
- IPL 2021 CSK VS MI: Rohit Sharma vs Shardul Thakur MS Dhoni vs Jasprit Bumrah, Key Battle to watch out for
- IPL 2021: No MI or CSK, THIS franchise leads the list of most centuries by a team
- IPL 2021: Predicted the first Playing XI of Punjab Kings
- PUBG Mobile and BGMI 1.6 Update VS AI Mode: Here’s how to play