Chennai Super Kings bother after regular opener Faf du Plessis picked up a groin injury during CPL 2021.
The 37-year-old Plessis is in doubt because of the injury, the CSK will have to look for contenders who could open with Ruturaj Gaikwad.
It will be more crucial to open CSK without Faf du Plessis. He scored 320 runs in seven matches with a best of 95* at an average of 64.00 and a strike rate of 145.45. He also smashed four fifties in those matches.
CSK will have other options like Robin Uhttappa, he could be slotted in the opener with Gaikwad.
Till now, Uhttappa has scored more than 2000 runs as an opener in IPL, which would be a like-for-like replacement.
The other candidate who could step up if needed is Ambati Rayudu.
The right-handed batsman is no stranger to opening the batting in T20.
He has done it in the past for CSK and if needed – he could do it again. He also has a century while opening the batting in the IPL.
CSK Updated Squad:
MS Dhoni (C), Suresh Raina, Faf du Plessis, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ambati Rayudu, Imran Tahir, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Lungi Ngidi, Dwayne Bravo, Karn Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Moeen Ali, Deepak Chahar, Shardul Thakur, K Gowtam, Sam Curran, Robin Uthappa, Mitchell Santner, Jagadeesan N, KM Asif, R Sai Kishore, C Hari Nishaanth, M Harisankar Reddy, K Bhagath Verma
- IPL 2021: No MI or CSK, THIS franchise leads the list of most centuries by a team
- IPL 2021: Predicted the first Playing XI of Punjab Kings
- PUBG Mobile and BGMI 1.6 Update VS AI Mode: Here’s how to play
- IPL 2021 Rajasthan Royals: Evin Lewis suffers shoulder injury during CPL Final
- IPL 2021: How to Buy Online IPL Tickets for matches in UAE’s Sharjah, Dubai & Abu Dhabi- Steps by Steps Explained
- IPL 2021 Playoff Qualification Status: Check what MI, CSK, DC, RCB, RR, KKR, SRH, PBKS need to qualify for IPL 2021 Playoffs
- IPL 2021: Fans allowed in Stadium to Watch IPL UAE Leg