Gautam Gambhir on Vekantesh Iyer: Former Indian batsman Gautam Gambhir felt that Vekantesh Iyer is yet to be groomed in ODI cricket. He added that Iyer should be considered only for the T20 format.
Iyer’s role in the Indian ODI set-up has been making rounds for the past few months.
He managed just two and 22 in the two innings he has played so far and did not bowl in the first game either which raises a lot of questions on his selection.
Touted to fill the shoes of all-rounder Hardik, Venkatesh batted at No.3 and 6 in the T20I contest, scoring 36 runs off 28 balls, but was asked to bowl in only one inning, where he finished with 1/12 in three overs.
Team India lost the ODI series 3-0 after a close defeat in the final ODI. Deepak Chahar played a vital knock and took the game deep but he failed to take Team India over the line.
Gambhir Feels Vekantesh Iyer should only be considered for T20 cricket:
“I feel he should only be considered for T20 cricket. Because he doesn’t have that level of maturity yet. He has been given an opportunity to play international level after watching him in only 7-8 IPL matches. If you are going by IPL performances, then play him in T20 cricket. ODI is a completely different ball game and a completely different beast,” Gautam Gambhir told Star Sports
The veteran cricketer also added that if Iyer remains in the reckoning for ODIs, then Indian management should ask his IPL franchise to play him in the middle order.
Read More | Babar Azam names ICC ODI Cricketer of The Year
“Iyer had opened in IPL, now he is playing in the middle order. Send him back. If you are considering him for ODI cricket then tell his IPL franchise to play him in the middle order. But I feel he should be kept for T20s only, that too only as an opener if he plays at that position in IPL.”
“Fear of losing. You don’t play on reputations. Cricket isn’t played on reputations. It is played in the middle. Many people say that India’s top-4 or top-5 is very explosive and very experienced. But the way you play in the middle is the only way to determine result”, said Gambhir.
- Apple iPhone 14 Accessories That You Use Every Day
- South African Provincial T20 Cup Full Schedule, Squads, Teams, Date & Time
- SHOCKING!! Indian Pacer Jasprit Bumrah ruled out of T20 World Cup Due to Injury
- Moeen Ali Wants to Ban Controversial Run-Out Rule
- KCA President Cup T20: LIO vs PAN Dream11 Prediction, Playing XI, Head to Head, Pitch Report for KCA Cup 2022
- How to Get The Ornamental Touch Desert Eagle And Warder Captain Bundle in Free Fire MAX
- iOS 16 Users Continue to Face unaddressed Bugs and Battery Drain Problems