The BCCI named Rohit Sharma as the new ODI captain as it announced the Indian squad for the Test series against South Africa.
Making a few other changes, Rohit was elevated as the Test vice-captain along with being named as the ODI captain. Meanwhile, Virat Kohli apparently refused from stepping down as ODI captain.
The BCCI gave Virat Kohli 48 hours to formally announce his retirement as ODI captain.
Seeing Kohli not responding, the BCCI took matters into its own hands making the announcement through a Twitter post.
The PTI report came hours after Rohit Sharma was named the ODI skipper.
It further said that Kohli was always going to lose his captaincy after stepping down as the T20I skipper post the T20 World Cup 2021.
Kohli stepped down as the T20I captain to manage his workload and focus on his batting.
He himself said that leading the team in all three formats was becoming taxing for him and thus he decided to step down as T20I skipper.
He also mentioned that under Rohit Sharma, the T20I side is in safe hands going forward.
Reports of the team having a lack of communication also came out in the media. His relationship with some of the coaching staff members, including Ravi Shastri, has also come under the scanner, albeit without any solid confirmation.
PTI quoted a former member of the Indian cricket team claiming that some team members had “trust issues” with the captain.
“The biggest problem with Virat has always been trust issues. He speaks about clear communication but where he had lost respect as a leader is lack of communication.”
Kohli, however, will continue to lead the team in Test cricket, the format in which he has achieved the most success as captain.
The Indian team after being the Kiwis at home are back at the number one spot in the ICC rankings.
They next play against South Africa in a three-match Test series followed by a three-match ODI series between December 26-January 23.
- Salman Khan announces Tiger 3 Release Date on 21st April
- Rishabh Pant Takes a Dig At Urvarshi Rautela: Sad How Some People Are so Thirsty For Fame and Name
- Maine Toh School Bhi Nahi Kiya: Virat Kohli
- Harley-Davidson Nightster Launched in India at Rs 14.99 lakh: Check Features & Price
- New Zealand Pacer shock move as the Kiwi star granted release from the contract in a seismic moment
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 Leaked!! Check Price, Specifications
- Apple to launch iOS 16 beta 5: Check new features for iPhone