Six Deputy Commissioners in Haryana have banned social media new platform (WhatsApp, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter etc) alleging them to spread unverified and misleading news, which may hamper peace and state-of-mind of many connections on social media, in the already disturbed times of coronavirus.
Some platforms like WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, LinkedIn, Telegram and Public App have been banned for publishing ‘social media’ based news, by some DCs of Haryana.
After the DC of Charkhi Dadri issued the 1st order of such nature, to ban any alleged social media published news, exercising his powers as district magistrate on May 12, 2020, his steps were followed by other DCs of Haryana too.
Read More | CBSE 12th results 2020: Lucknow girl Divyanshi Jain scores 100%, wants to study History at Delhi University
He has banned such platforms for 15 days on July 10, while the remaining five have imposed the restrictions “till further orders”.
“No social media platform in Sonipat has taken permission to function as a news channel. They neither got registration from the Directorate of Information and Public Relations of Haryana government nor from Commissioner of Information and Broadcasting Ministry of the Union government.
There is a possibility of (spread of) fear among a large section of the society in this abnormal circumstance of coronavirus pandemic because of intentional or unintentional fake news or wrong reporting from the news channels of social media.
So it is necessary to get registered from any regulatory body for functioning of a social media platform as a news channel.”
These restrictions have been impose under IPC Section 188, Disaster Management Act 2005, along with Epidemic Disease Act, 1957, the violation of which, may lead to jail term and penalty.
Source: click here
- T20 World Cup 2021: Indian Skipper Virat Kohli says KL Rahul to open with Rohit Sharma
- T20 World Cup: England’s cricketer Liam Livingstone doubtful after Finger Injury
- T20 World Cup OMN vs BAN: Fantasy Cricket Tips, Playing XI, Pitch Report, Dream11 Prediction
- CSK’s opener Ruturaj Gaikwad gets a grand welcome at home
- T20 World Cup: Gautam Gambhir says ‘Hardik Pandya must bowl to get into India’s playing XI’
- IPL 2021: Top 3 performers for KKR in the tournament
- MS Dhoni confirms He will continue to pay for CSK in IPL 2022