Why BGMI Blocked in India: The government of India blocked Battleground Mobile India ass it was concerned about data sharing and mining in China.
PUBG Mobile was banned in the country two years ago. Section 69A of India’s IT Act allows the government to block public access to content in the interest of national security, among other reasons.
New Delhi used the power it has under India’s IT law to block BGMI, a game from South Korean Krafton, which is backed by China’s Tencent, relying o a provision it has invoked since 2022 to ban several other Chinese apps on national security concerns, said a government official.
The Indian government has not publicly announced the blocking. But the app was removed from Alphabet’s Google Play store and Apple’s App Store as of Thursday evening in India.
Swadeshi Jagran Manch (SJM) and non-profit Prahar had repeatedly asked the government to investigate “China influence” of BGMI, Prahar president Abhay Mishra told Reuters. SJM is the economic wing of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh.
Read More | GTA 6 will feature a Female Latina Protagonist
“In the so-called new avatar, the BGMI was no different from erstwhile PUBG with Tencent still controlling it in the background,” Mishra added.
“I hope our government understands that thousands of esports athletes and content creators and their life is dependent on BGMI,” tweeted Abhijeet Andhare, a Twitter user with more than 92,000 followers.
“We are clarifying how BGMI was removed from Google Play store and the App store and will let you know once we get specific informationm,” Krafton told Gadgets 360 earlier today.
“We are yet to receive an official statement from the Government on the reason behind the removal of the game from the Play Store and App Store. This is between the publisher and the government and we hope this issue will be resolved soon. For ESPL, it’s a wait-and-watch time to take further decisions,” said Vishwalok Nath, Director of Esports Premier League.
“The BGMI BAN will definitely be a setback for all major stakeholders like Tournament Organizations, Esports Teams, Coaches, Support Staff and most importantly the Athletes.
However, at Revenant Esports, we will still be supporting our BGMI Athletes. And make sure they use our training facility to create content and try their hand at different games.
The entire industry will take a hit but Revenant was built during the first stint of the Ba. And we have always believed in diversification we still have rosters competing in Pokémon Unite which will be representing India at the World Championship in London, Call of Duty Mobile which will be playing the regional playoffs for the World Championship, Apex Legends that previously represented the SEA region in the ALGS Playoffs in Stockholm, Valorant that is currently playing a couple of regional tournaments.
We have been the youngest team to represent our region over 3 times in 8 months. We have always believed in diversification and will continue to do so, we are optimistic of supporting our BGMI Athletes during these trying times,” said Rohit Jagasia, founder and CEO, Revenant Esports.
“All we know is that such occurrences are becoming more common by the year, and are happening without any foresight. Not very long ago, we saw a wave of China-based apps getting banned overnight, and also saw the likes of Free Fire getting the red flag – all happening without any prior warnings.
Also, with the recent incident of a boy killing his mother over a BGMI argument, the game had yet again come under the radar of the government and marked it as “unsafe for young adults”.
Similar incidents of arguments and damages due to the game have arisen in the past,” said Rohit Agarwal, founder, and Director of marketing firm Alpha Zegus.
The Indian government is yet to release an official statement in terms of the reasoning behind the ban. But what we have realized by now is mobile games are becoming more unpredictable by the day. I hope a regulatory body comes into play which monitors the games over time, instead of banning them overnight,” Agarwal added.
- FIFA World Cup 2022: Cristiano Ronaldo Arrives in Qatar in Style Along with Team Portugal
- FIFA World Cup 2022: Cristiano Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes engage in an AWKWARD interaction
- Manchester United Didn’t Believe My Daughter Was ill in Hospital When I missed Pre-Reson: Cristiano Ronaldo
- IPL 2023 Retention: KKR is all set to release Pat Cummins
- Free Fire OB37 Update Features: New Zombie Mode, Gun, Pet, and More
- IPL 2023 Retention: MI & CSK Retained and Released players list; MI releases Kieron Pollard, CSK retains Ravindra Jadeja
- Step to Activate 5G on Apple iPhone 12, 13, 14 Series