More than 1.5 cror people are on the tenterhooks in Assam over their citizenship as the government prepares to release the final list of Indian citizen living in the state tomorrow.
The National registry of Citizens was envisaged in view of illegal migration into the state from neighbouring Bangladesh.
Many complained that they were left out of the list despite submitting sufficient proof. The descendants of those who can prove their citizenship till 24 March, 1971, will be considered as Indian citizens.
The registry update is seen as a move to target Assam’s Muslims population on the pretext of weeding out Bangladeshi migrants.
Security has been strengthened and the Centre has rushed troops in Assam to maintain law and order.
Here are top 10 facts on the NRC in Assam
The national Registry of Citizens was first formed in 1951. In Latest updation of the list in Assam contains the names of descendants of those whose names were in the 1951 list or those who were in Assam’s Electoral rolls till March 24, 1971.
People will be considered Indian citizens if who can prove citizenship till 24,March,1971. So will those who came in between Jan 1, 1966 and March 25,1971, and registered themselves with the foreigners Registration Regional Officer.
Of 3.29 crore people in Assam, more than 1.9 cleared in the first round of lists as Indian Nationals on Jan 1 this year.
NRC have revealed that 1.5 lakh people will be dropped from the first list, since anomalies were found in their documents around 50,000 of them are rural woman.
There are other states nearest to Assam- Meghalaya, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur have strengthened security along the border. The centre has sent over 22,000 paramilitary troops to Assam and nearest state.
National Register of Citizens is also preparing a common database of citizens to identify foreign national
The citizenship Amendment Bill 2016 was a promise by Narendra Modi ahead of the 2014 general elections in which the BJP swept to power.
- T20 World Cup 2021: Indian Skipper Virat Kohli says KL Rahul to open with Rohit Sharma
- T20 World Cup: England’s cricketer Liam Livingstone doubtful after Finger Injury
- T20 World Cup OMN vs BAN: Fantasy Cricket Tips, Playing XI, Pitch Report, Dream11 Prediction
- CSK’s opener Ruturaj Gaikwad gets a grand welcome at home
- T20 World Cup: Gautam Gambhir says ‘Hardik Pandya must bowl to get into India’s playing XI’
- IPL 2021: Top 3 performers for KKR in the tournament
- MS Dhoni confirms He will continue to pay for CSK in IPL 2022